Wednesday, March 30, 2011

Great Expectations: Thoughts on reading

I really liked Great Expectations. The plot was my favorite part because it was so original compared to all of the other books I've read. The only thing I didn't like was how Charles Dickens seemed to drag his sentences on and on along with some of Pip's dialogue. This made more sense to me when I read and article about how he wrote this is chapters for a magazine and would get paid for however much he wrote. Some of the mysteries I was able to guess before they were clearly solved is that the letter telling Pip to go to the marshes was from Orlick and that Miss Havisham was not his benefactor but that one of the convicts was. I enjoyed the settings although they were sometimes confusing on where they were. The characters were perfectly chosen in my mind. There was the upper class and the lower class. Joe, Biddy and Pip were my favorite characters. Also up there are Mr. Wemmick and of course Herbert. I never slacked in reading this novel. I have a thing where I get really stressed if I wait until the last minute to do things or put them off until later so when I would come home from school each day around 3 I would read the assigned chapters. I started out reading to myself but I would get bored and space out thinking about things other than the novel. When this would happen I realized I wasn't totally tracking what was going on so I researched for some kind of recording I could listen to. I was going to get the CD from the Timberland Library but it was out of stock and I found Libribox. It was very helpful even though the guy reading it had a funny accent for the characters. Then a couple days later Mrs. Gilman told us about it so I knew it was a good website. My plan for reading it was, I would get home, turn on my fireplace, lay out all of my supplies and get my laptop ready then read. It worked very well for me and I was always right on the scheduled reading or ahead.

No comments:

Post a Comment