Thursday, March 3, 2011

Passage- Great Expectations

When my small group in honors English were talking about this passage we came to the conclusion that Pip is talking about gloom, convicts, and mystery when he talks about thorns and the chain of iron. But he wasn't only talking about this, he was comparing all of these dreary objects to speaking about gold and flowers. In chapter nine, Pip returns from the Satis house and lies to Mrs. Joe and Joe about his time at the house. This day made him feel so guilty for lying that he finally told Joe. I believe this is a positive change in his life because he no longer wants to be common. He plans on getting a good education and impressing Estella. He begins learning without paying for the tuition because his family does not have the money to do so, yet.

The memorable day that started my chain was when I "accidentally" called 911 instead of my dad, like I told my mom. I got to scared and hung up but 911 called back to make sure everything was okay. That small amount of time I felt so guilty. Like the police would come to my house any second. I was so young that I thought they could arrest me. A quote of Pip's that goes along with my story at that moment was, "Before the fire goes out, Joe, I should like to tell you something." Right before my mom answered I yelled and told her I called 911 and that I was really sorry. Even today, I still feel guilty when I do the littlest things that some people would do without any thought. Pip and I are actually very similar because of the way we get after we do something wrong.

No comments:

Post a Comment