Tuesday, May 31, 2011

My Experience With Poetry

Poetry is exposed to us all at very young ages. When I first started going to Kindergarten my mom would take me every Saturday to a place where we would sing songs and recite poems we had memorized for the week. I don't remember specific details as to what the group was called or where we went but I do remember that I always had a huge smile on my face when I would sit in my moms lap, singing and reciting nursery rhymes. Some of the significant ones that we did a lot were "The Ants Go Marching" and "My Bonnie Lies Over the Ocean." Of course, just like every other child I didn't really look or think about what a deeper meaning could have been but really a lot of the poetry out there for children is on the surface.

The next time I was exposed to poetry more often was when we had our poetry unit in middle school. I was in Mrs. Clear's class and she LOVED poetry. Some of the poems I really liked were the ones by Edgar Allen Poe. Although they were somewhat scary wand gory I understood them and I liked how they told a story. This was really the first time I started to analyze poetry. A lot of my classmates complained about how poetry was dumb and useless but I felt the complete opposite.

When it comes to poetry I have really come to appreciate it. Not only do I enjoy reading it I also love to attempt to write poems having to do with my life. The poetry I enjoy the most are the ones that leave you satisfied and have a good meaning. I can't wait to learn even more about poetry!

1 comment:

  1. I like how you started out when you were young in the first paragraph, and then went into middle school poetry in the second paragraph...also mentioning edgar allen poe. and then ended it with 2 or 3 sentences about how you love poetry. SMALL WORLD.

    ReplyDelete