Saturday, October 23, 2010

Different.

When I was eighth grade, I wrote Different. This was my first large writing assignment that required me to hours at a time, perfecting the piece as the weeks went by. The story is about a boy who is harassed everyday because of his sexuality. Looking back and reading it, I am actually very proud of how it turned out. It was quite a mature topic if I do say so myself. I start the book out with Journal Entry #1 which is him writing about his day and how he can't deal with the pain of being made fun of. I use, "I can't do this. I can't always be the one who is the center of each conversation I hear in the hallway" to draw in my readers and show how hard of a time Bailey had everyday. Throughout the short story there are four journal entries. I liked the way I used Bailey writing in his journal and narrating, to portray information. My class did so much with the short stories including, writing draft after draft, making cover art and even making a podcast. Writing my short story Different, I learned writing takes sweet time but it is worth it in the end. My family enjoyed my writing along with my classmates. Of course glancing back, I realize mistakes I could have fixed, which illustrates what I have learned over the summer and in English so far.

No comments:

Post a Comment