Wednesday, November 17, 2010

Lobster Discussion

In the discussion about the poem "Lobsters," Levi brought up an interesting point when he shouted, "Slave trade." He was comparing the poem and how we choose lobsters by picking any one we want which was a lot like slave owners picking out which slaves they wanted. I had never thought about slave trade relating to this poem but when he said it I was really surprised how much they compare. They both have a higher authority choosing which one they want of the lower selections. I found it interesting how many different ideas were brought up in the discussion.
When reading through the poem first, I thought it was about going to the store and eating the lobster but when I continued to read over it and after the discussion, I had a whole new view on what the meaning of writing this poem was. I think the author wrote this to show the taking and choosing between social classes and humans taking advantage of what is available for them like when he says, "needless pleasures." We don't need Lobster to survive people just enjoy having it. I believe the reason Numerov used lobsters because they are one of the few foods you bring home to kill and eat. The discussion helped me fully wrap my head around the ideas of the poem.

No comments:

Post a Comment