Tuesday, December 14, 2010

My poem!

The poem I ended up choosing for Poetry Out Loud is The Road Not Taken by Robert Frost. Each time I recite it I get the same pictures in my mind of one time when I was seven or eight and I went on a nature walk with my mom, my friend and her mom. While we were on the walk I collected all different shapes and colors of leaves. When we came to a bend in the road, we together chose which way we wanted to go, sometimes wondering what would have been different if we had taken the other trail. Sure I have been on plenty of other walks but this was I time when I wasn't good with directions and every little thing interested me.

With the metaphorical meaning of this poem it makes me think of when I have had to make decisions. I've never had big decisions to make but my parents have and it would have affected my life if they had made different choices. For instance, my dad was going to go to law school but he thought he chose journalism school. Also, he was offered a job in San Francisco before he met my mom and if they had never met I wouldn't even be here. When my parents made the decision to move to Washington from Kentucky. I wonder sometimes what life would be like if other decisions were made but I never want to go back. Which is like the line from the poem that says, "I doubted if I should ever go back.

To show the meaning of this poem in my performance I am going to have a somber look with a little bit of happiness because he is serious but then he chooses the road he takes still looking back on the road not taken. I am going to wear a nice outfit that shows I am prepared to preform this great poem. I plan to not use any gestures because I don't want to distract the audience from what I am saying and it is not a natural thing I do when I speak. I am going to speak slowly and take my time while I am up there. I have noticed teens today often mumble and rush when they are speaking and I am going to do the opposite. The reason I will slow down the speed of my poem is so I have people in the audience thinking about what it means to them.

No comments:

Post a Comment